Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
The theatre was built in 1922. The architects were the firm Shourds-Stoner of Terre Haute. A photo showing the original appearance of the theater can be viewed at the web site of the Monroe County History Center. The theater originally featured a mix of vaudeville and silent movies. The famous local musician, Hoagy Carmichael, played at the Indiana. It is served by the Sunrise Box Office.
In 1975, the Vonderschmitt family sold the Indiana to Kerasotes Theatres. They closed the upper balcony and put in a second screen. In December 1995, Kerasotes gave the theater to the Bloomington Area Arts Council, who then restored it and reopened it in 1999 as the Buskirk-Chumley.